We are a multi-species, pasture-based livestock farm located in Cedar Grove, NC. Our mission is to use humane and ecological animal husbandry to build soil fertility on our farm and healthy, delicious food for our community.
Our name is a play on our last name, Edens, but also points to our belief that good animal husbandry is something that originated in the garden (of Eden), when Adam and Eve were tasked by God to name and care for the animals.
We believe humane and ecological husbandry:
- Respects the dignity of animals by allowing them to live a life they were created to live: outdoors, with fresh forage, and without a routine treatment of antibiotics
- Utilizes animal manure and the disturbance of grazing to regenerate soil and in turn produce better pasture and vegetable crops
- Fosters integrity in the relationship between the animal and the eater by facilitating meaningful opportunities for people to learn more about where the food comes from
- Creates a good livelihood for the farmer and farmworker by paying them wages that allow them to enjoy the work, extend wisdom to the community, and bring love and generosity to the animals.
We also believe that:
- Good animal husbandry is a vocation, not just a job
- A farm is a dynamic ecosystem, not a factory
- Food is foundational to health, not simply fuel
- Animals are creatures, not production units
- The people who eat our meat are our community, not simply customers